The War Memorial
The dedication of the Memorial took place one Sunday afternoon in 1919. The unveiling was performed by Mrs. Barnett of The Holt, who, with her husband gave the shrine to the village in memory of the 22 men who had lost their lives during the war, and it was also dedicated to their son William Ronald who died in 1918 at the age of 16 after a short illness. During the 1914-18 war 185 men from the village served in the armed forces, 22 lost their lives.
Three members of the Mold family are recorded – Arthur Mold who died on 22nd November 1915, Edwin Mold who died on 13th May 1940, and Roger Preedy Mold, who died on 8th July 1946.
Joe Watkins, a village carpenter who lived in Royal Oak Lane, made the wooden canopy. The masonry is Horton stone and was built by Mr. Tom Bonham and his son Reg. The original shrine was enclosed in an oak cabinet, the names of the fallen were inscribed in gold on the inside of the two doors. The cabinet has since been replaced and the names of those who died in the Second World War have been added to the memorial.
Munster Heath was on the line of the Allied advance across northern Germany in 1945 but the majority of those buried in the cemetery died while serving with the Army of Occupation after the German surrender. Munster Heath Cemetery contains 589 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. There are also 277 post war graves